Dal makhani or dal makhni
(pronounced daal makh-nee, “buttery lentils”) is a popular dish from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. The primary ingredients are whole black lentil (urad), red kidney beans (rajma), butter and cream. The dish gets its richness from the use of cream, but it can also be prepared with yogurt, milk or no dairy. Try out this restaurant style recipe at your next family gathering to get accolades of praise your way
Serves: 6 to 8
- Whole black gram (sabut urad) 1 cup (250ml cup)
- Red kidney beans (rajma) 1/4 cup
- Onion 1 large chopped finely
- Tomatoes 4 medium Pureed
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder 1 tablespoon
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Green chillies slit 2 (optional)
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoon fresh thickening cream
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick ( Dalchini)
- 4 Green Cardamom (Elachi)
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves (tej patta)
- 1 Teaspoon dry Fenugreek Leaves( Methi)
- 1 piece of hot Charcoal
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
How to Prepare:
- Wash and soak sabut urad and rajma overnight in 1 Litre water.
- Boil sabut urad and rajma in 4 cups of water with salt for three whistles in a pressure cooker. Open the lid and see if the rajma is totally soft. If not cook on low heat till the rajma becomes totally soft.
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon,cardamom,cloves and bay leaves. When they begin to change color add onion and sauté till golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw smell goes.
- Add slit green chillies, tomato puree and sauté on medium heat. Add the red chilli powder and sauté till the tomato puree is reduced to a pulp. Make sure to keep on stirring in between.
- Add the cooked dal and rajma along with the cooking liquour. Add some water if the mixture is too thick. Add garam masala powder and add salt to taste.
- Simmer on low heat till the dals are totally soft and well blended. Turn off the flame.
- Add dry fenugreek leaves(Kasuri Methi), Fresh Cream. Mix Well.
- In a stainless steel bowl keep the hot charcoal, place this bowl in the above pan and pour ghee over it. Place lid on the pan immediately to trap the smoke. Keep it for at least 10 minutes. This smokey flavor gives you restaurant style dal makhani taste.